Saturday, September 25, 2004

Weekend blogging

With some help (thanks David) I've added some of my favorite links relevant to the subject matter of this blog to the right sidebar. Once I have enough links, I'll probably divide them into two categories--one for space and the other for politics. I've been fairly preoccupied with politics recently. I think it might have something to do with this crazy election that looms over us. I have several books on space exploration and astronomy sitting on my shelf, and I have every intention of getting to them, but law school, my fascination with everything going on politically, and my persistant apethy have kept me from them. I'm not sure why I went off on this tangent. I think it's guilt.

Anyway, John Kerry's abhorrent behavior this past week deserves some informed commentary...

Bill Kristol has it right: "Kerry and his advisers have behaved disgracefully this past week. That behavior is sufficient grounds for concern about his fitness to be president." Kerry continues to baffle me. I'm finding it harder to believe that he really does want to be President. Just from a political standpoint, he seems to making so many stupid mistakes that you start to wonder about his level of competance. Don't get me wrong, I know he's an intelligent man. But I think we're seeing an amazing level of misdirection merged with overall frustration, and the result is the waywardness we've seen the last few days. An hour after Bush spoke at the Republican convention, Kerry took the stage at his midnight rally in Ohio to fuss in the most pathetic of ways. And this week, not an hour after the Prime Minister of Iraq addressed a joint session of congress to thank America for liberating Iraq and to express his optimism about Iraq's prospects for a healthy democracy, Kerry starts ranting again (in Ohio of all places). Kristol puts it well in his article about how Disgraceful Kerry has been:

"But Kerry's rudeness paled beside the comment of his senior adviser, Joe Lockhart, to the Los Angeles Times: "The last thing you want to be seen as is a puppet of the United States, and you can almost see the hand underneath the shirt today moving the lips."

Is Kerry proud that his senior adviser's derisive comment about the leader of free Iraq will now be quoted by terrorists and by enemies of the United States, in Iraq and throughout the Middle East? Is the concept of a loyalty to American interests that transcends partisan politics now beyond the imagination of the Kerry campaign?

John Kerry has decided to pursue a scorched-earth strategy in this campaign. He is prepared to insult allies, hearten enemies, and denigrate efforts to succeed in Iraq. His behavior is deeply irresponsible--and not even in his own best interest."


And along those same lines...
"Kerry's looking for American failure -- and he's it" by Mark Steyn

And this is one of the best articles I've read in a long time. Mr. Hanson hits the nail on the head:
"The Fall" by Victor Davis Hanson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home