Monday, February 07, 2005

Observing Log


I spent the past weekend in Jackson where I was able to do some observing through my 12" reflector. The telescope itself is in bad shape: the fixtures supporting the secondary mirror are loose and the screws that secure it in place are rusted and somewhat stripped, the primary mirror has seen a total corrosion of its coatings, and the balance of the scope on its Dobsonian mount is noticably off when the scope is aimed towards the horizon. That being said, it still works better than the unaided human eye.

Saturn was well placed for viewing. Using a 26mm lens, 4 moons were immediately apparent, as was the primary ring division when the atmosphere cooperated. The Orion Nebula was a sight as usual; even in a light polluted sky, such as the one I was under, its wispy clouds are stunning and the Trapezium stands out like a small collection of gems. I waited up for Jupiter, but it was a disappointement. Only the 4 Gallilean satelites could be seen. Because the atmosphere was so turbulent towards the horizon, Jupiter was nothing more than a blob of blurry orange. Normally, I can see several cloud belts beyond the two main equitorial belts. Apart from a few open clusters, the only other object I observed was the Crab Nebula. At low power, the Crab Nebula (M1) appeared as a very faint hazy patch of fudge in the sky. Only with averted vision was it visible to the eye at all.

It was clear to me that my telescope has seen its best days. When I'm finished with law school and (hopefully) earning a little money, I'll have a good excuse to upgrade to this. Or perhaps this. Or maybe both housed in one of these...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home