Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Say what?

The site American Rhetoric has compiled a list of the top 100 American speeches. You can access the text to all the speeches, as well as an mp3(hello iPod) for most as well. I wish that they had one of Bush's speeches immediately after 9/11. They have Clinton's speech after the Oklahoma City bombing (I can't remember the speech itself but I'm sure it's very good). King's "I Have a Dream" speech is ranked as #1.

It seems to me that if there's one glaring flaw to this list it's that it's limited almost entirely to the last 100 years (there are a few exceptions)--nothing from the Civil War era or from the country's founders. But I suppose it would be hard to find an mp3 of those...

2 Comments:

Blogger David said...

I was disappointed that it didn't feature Kennedy's "Before this decade is out" speech to Congress or his "We choose to go to the Moon" Rice University speech. I would have iPodded one of those up big time.

I reckon I can find it from another source, though, if I were less lazy.

7:25 AM  
Blogger Jordan said...

Yeah, I agree. I thought the same thing as I scanned the list for the first time. If all Democrats had the vision that Kennedy had, I might not have to be so partisan...

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home