Friday, September 02, 2005

Today...

Apart from 9/11, no event has induced in me so many intense emotions as has the aftermath of Katrina. I awoke this morning, turned on the TV and was greeted by the Congressional Black Caucus blasting the Bush administration. My heart despaired and my mood descended into a sour state. How dare they conspire to orchestrate a political--yes, political--attack on their most hated enemy when there's still far too much action that's needed on the ground in the Gulf? How dare they turn this into a racial issue? How dare they insunuate that all of the federal government (elected by a majority of Americans) would be quicker to help these victims had they been predominantly white?

The attacks didn't stop there. The floodgates (if I dare use that word) had opened. The media was in attack-Bush mode all day. People at school were blasting Bush. But people in New Orleans were dying. I think, why can't we see this situation stabalized before we look to point fingers? But then I realize that I hope for too much.

America's moral and civil fabric has been rendered as desolate as the Gulf is now. Years of dialogue and public discourse fueled by hatred, spite, and sheer contempt has brought America to a point that shames me. For the first time in my life I'm wondering if the strength of the American people is being overwhelmed by hatred, needless confusion, and mindless passion. I pray not. Now, if ever, we must trust the sincerity of our leaders. We must be compassionate and understanding. There's plenty of time ahead to critique the government's response, but let's wait until the stranded have been rescued and the dead have been counted.

Apart from the Bush-bashing I've seen from, quite frankly, all fronts, I've also witnessed the continued human tragedy as it unfolds before my eyes on live TV. I go from anger to sorrow. I can't imagine what so many of these people I see are going through. The tears I see on my wife's face tell me that she's thinking the same thing. Lord, comfort these people. Grant them grace and cause the rest of us to see that there are callings in our daily life that transcend malicious political opportunism.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home